Become a Mentor
The Edge Initiative provides a unique experience for mentors to participate and contribute to the African American community at Fresno State. As a mentor, you will influence, encourage, and inspire your Edge Scholar to strive for academic excellence and completion of his or her baccalaureate degree.
Each mentor will be paired with a student to provide academic, social, and career guidance to foster the development of African American students. Each mentor will determine particular goals for his or her Scholar. However, the following guidelines stipulate mentor expectations and tips to provide a successful mentoring experience for faculty, staff, and students:
- Establish expectations for your Scholar, and assist in academic or career planning.
- Encourage your Scholar to be proactive, and communicate his or her ideas, goals, and expectations.
- Offer guidance and hold your Scholar accountable for his or her actions.
- Provide constructive feedback.
- Build a relationship with your Scholar: be a friend and confidant, listen, encourage, be accessible, and provide a safe environment.
- Maintain contact with your Scholar. We recommend contacting him or her at least two times a month.
- Support and foster your Scholar’s participation in events sponsored by the Edge Initiative and university.
- Schedule one-on-one activities with your Scholar, such as attending an exhibit at the library, volunteering at a non-profit organization, or reading a book together.
If you are interested in serving as a mentor in the African American Edge Initiative, please complete and submit the following online form.