ePortfolios for Assessment
ePortfolios can be a powerful tool for assessment and evaluation. By establishing a set of criteria and evidence associated with an assignment, a student can use an eportfolio to meet requirements you set in class. Additionally, as a department, faculty can measure what concepts students have mastered and where they are falling short of departmental standards. ePortfolios can be used to document growth over a student’s course of study as well as a means to evaluate a program for accreditation and/or program review.
Some of the advantages of using ePortfolio for assessment include:
- students can select what they feel is their best representative work
- student work can take many forms
- students can receive feedback in other media based on an rubrics,
- students reflect on their learning,
- non-curricular activities and other events that impact a student’s learning experience can be included
- work is readily accessible and easily stored over time.