First Year Experience
First Year Freshmen: You have been invited to apply for a new and exciting program...
FIRST YEAR EXPERIENCE: Foundation for Academic Success at Fresno State
Become one of only 100 students chosen from a large pool to participate in a proven approach for a successful Freshman year of college and beyond.
Questions and Answers
These questions will be refined and added to as questions come in. We encourage you to please check this page often.
What is the purpose of FYE?
- To increase retention, help you stay in college and to reduce the time to graduate from Fresno State.
- To assist first generation college students.
- To provide a learning community of peers for social and academic support.
- In 2009 Fresno State developed the FYE program to support first-time freshmen needing to take English and math remediation, and who are the first generation in their family to attend college.
- There are no additional classes. Every class you take will fulfill either the remediation for English and Math, or General Education (GE) requirements.
- Many general education courses on campus have class sizes of 200 or more, making a one-to-one relationship with the teacher difficult.
Why should I apply to FYE?
- It has been proven that FYE students have on average a higher GPA than other students after the first semester.
- Extra support during your freshman year
- Required English and Math classes are built into your program
- Easy registration – all classes bundled
- Classes typically scheduled in the morning and early afternoon.
- Dedicated Faculty chosen to work together to support the 100 students
- You will make friends, study-pals with the 99 other students
- Special support services are provided
- Classes guaranteed both Fall & Spring semesters
- Use EPortfolio
- Be part of the new DISCOVERe tablet initiative
How was I selected to apply?
All those asked to apply are freshmen who promise to have met Fresno State admissions requirements and need to complete remediation courses in English and Math while beginning their college experience. You must meet Early Start requirements to be admitted to Fresno State.
Can my friend apply?
Only if they received an email asking them to apply.
What are the classes?
CLASSES for fall: English 5A, Math 4R, Literacy & Early Education 80T, History 12,
CLASSES for spring: English 5B, Pol Sci 2, Biology 10, Critical Thinking courses
Can I take other classes?
YES. You can take a course in the Spring. The course should be in the afternoon or evening such as a major prerequisite, performance, or activity class. To assist your success in this first year, It is NOT recommended that you take more than one other academic class without special advising.
Will this work with my major?
YES. All students asked to apply need the English and Math course and all other courses apply to the required GE program needed for all majors.
What classes will fulfill the math and English requirements I need?
The English 5A and 5B meet the English requirement. Math 4R meets the Math requirement. You must successfully complete the courses.
Can I only participate in the Fall semester?
NO. If you apply you must participate for both semesters (fall and spring).
How many units will I earn?
You have the opportunity to earn 24-30 units toward graduation.
How many General Education (GE) units will I earn?
You can earn 21 units of GE credit with the FYE courses.. You will meet the areas of A1, A2, A3, B2, D1, D2, & E. You can earn 24 units if you take an additional GE or major course in spring.
Can I Drop Courses?
Students will be required to take and remain in all 15 units in the fall and 12 units in the spring. Courses will be linked and selected courses cannot be dropped.
Will this program allow me to work?
There will be time blocks but FYE is a full-time student schedule and working is a personal decision. You have some of the afternoon and the evening for employment. Remember that you need to allow for study time each day while in college. One hour in class requires three hours of studying. (Comm 8 is three hours of class which equals nine hours of study time per week.)
What is service-learning?
Fresno State is an engaged university; providing services to our region and community. As a cohort your faculty will link course conversations with services and issues in our community.
If I apply is admission to this program guaranteed?
NO. We anticipate that this program will be popular due to the support offered and the guaranteed courses once accepted. We would encourage you to apply today.
If admitted to this program is course registration guaranteed?
YES. Once you have been selected you will be registered. You will not have the experience of closed courses or taking classes at times that you do not prefer. Your courses will be available to you on your my.fresnostate.edu portal.
When will I be notified of my acceptance into FYE?
Students selected will be notified prior to Dog Days. Please watch your CSU email for the message. Alternates will be notified if a space opens up during the summer.
How will I know what classes to register for?
Students will automatically be registered for classes in the fall and spring semester. Students will be assisted when registering for the additional spring course if needed.
What else do I need to know?
The main form of communication at Fresno State is Fresno State e-mail. If you have not already done so, it is HIGHLY recommended that you access your Fresno State e-mail account (go to 'Settings' and then 'Accounts') and list your personal e-mail address so a copy of everything sent to your Fresno State e-mail automatically forwards to your personal e-mail account. By doing this, you only need to check your personal e-mail and will not be left out of important notices, announcements, etc.
First-time freshmen are often unaware that they are held accountable for the information that is sent to their Fresno State e-mail by the various offices on campus (eg., Admissions, Financial Aid, Dean of Undergraduate Studies, etc.) and we want your first experiences at Fresno State to be positive.