Faculty Recruitment Guidelines & Procedures

Last Revised: January, 2013

For assistance regarding the following guidelines and procedures, please contact the Academic Resources Office. For all other faculty search policies and procedures, please go to the Faculty Affairs website.

Academic Year 2012-13

Go directly to:

Interview Expense
Moving Allowance
Recruitment Reimbursement

I. Recruitment (Searches occurring in 2012-13 for positions that start in 2013-14)

Recruitment funds will be allocated directly to the colleges/schools. Funds will be used for tenure-track positions searched for in 2012-2013 with, in most cases, employment dates of August 2013. Costs associated with searches, which were approved late, will need to be covered by the colleges/schools.

Each approved tenure-track search will be funded $3,425 for recruitment purposes. The class code 13102 should be used for expenditures paid from funds provided by Academic Affairs. These expenditures include search costs, start-up costs, and relocation expenses.

Recruitment monies can be used to cover the following types of expenses:

Pre-Interview Expenses:

Advertising, printing, and other expenditures needed to begin the search process. Until further notice, travel to conferences by faculty for recruitment purposes will not be funded from Academic Affairs search monies.

Interview Expenses :

Travel expenses , lodging, and meals only will be covered as governed by state regulations and Academic Affairs guidelines. Recall that candidates are responsible for payment of personal items such as personal phone calls, alcoholic beverages, movies charged to their hotel rooms, expenses for family members, etc.

Entertainment Expense :

Meals for candidates and the search committee members only will be funded by Academic Affairs. Such expenditures can be paid from state funds as long as the expenditure meets the Academic Affairs guidelines for faculty recruitment, and state regulations are followed.

For faculty recruitment purposes, Fresno State Academic Affairs is following CSU travel policies. Reimbursement for meals is now based on the actual amount incurred as supported by original, itemized receipts. Reimbursement is up to a maximum of $55 per day within the continental United States. In addition to the state regulations, Academic Affairs is setting the following maximum amounts per meal for faculty recruitment purposes:

  • Breakfast - $10.00
  • Lunch - $15.00
  • Dinner - $30.00

Meals must be with candidates. Should the department choose to take individuals other than the candidate and search committee members, funding will need to come from the department/college. If the meals for non-search committee members are to be paid from state funds, they must meet the following criteria in addition to those referenced above:


  • Serve a clear university business purpose, with no personal benefit derived by the official host or other university employees.
  • Be cost effective and the best use of public funds (fiscally responsible.)
  • Follow the CSU hospitality policy.

Please note that per diem for meals is no longer allowed, and reimbursements cannot be made without actual itemized receipts. An itemized receipt 1)demonstrates the cost (shows what was purchased and the cost per item), and 2)provides proof of payment (shows how it was paid).

Recruitment monies are specifically intended for the purposes listed above. They may not be used to augment moving expenses and/or start-up costs. Recruitment funds cannot be used for travel, lodging, or meals associated with house-hunting trips for the successful candidate and his/her family. Savings from one search may not be used to augment funding for another search.

All recruitment expenses should be submitted no later than May 3, 2013.

II. Start-Up Costs (For faculty starting in 2012-13)

Two types of start-up assistance are available for new tenure-track faculty: assigned time and up to $4,500 for start-up costs.

Start-up funds are available to first-year, tenure-track faculty for support. These are faculty recruited during 2011-12 whose start date was August 2012. (Special prorated exceptions can be made for individuals starting in the spring semester.) The University will provide up to $1,500 for start-up support. This is a 1:2 match (Academic Affairs: College/Department) with Academic Affairs providing a maximum of $1,500 and the college, school, or department providing $3,000 in matching funds.

These funds may be used for such purposes as equipment, workstations, professional travel, software, and books. Start-up monies are not intended to cover items normally purchased with department operating funds. Paperwork (requisitions, travel applications, etc.) needs to reflect the class code 13102 for the portion funded by Academic Affairs along with the chartstring for the match from the department/college. These funds must be expended by May 3, 2013 AND meet Procurement deadlines.  Funds will not be available for use after that date.

Start-up funding for "cohort" positions may be different. Questions, regarding funding for these positions, may be addressed to Academic Resources.

Start-up funds also include up to 3 WTU of assigned time from the University at the current backfill rate of $4,972. This is a 1:1 match with the college or school. With the match, the new faculty member would have up to 6 WTU in the first academic year. When Academic Resources is notified how these funds will be matched, monies will be transferred directly to the school/college as long as funds are available. Notification should be written, either in memo or e-mail, and include the P/S chartstring as well as employee ID or pool ID, if appropriate.

It should be noted that unused faculty start-up funds cannot be transferred to other faculty members. School, college, department, or program monies may be used to cover start-up expenditures for new faculty that exceed the limits described.

III. Moving (For faculty starting in 2012-13)

The campus allowance for relocation expense is up to $2,500 for all tenure-track hires. Reimbursement will be made for state-allowable expenses only. To avoid any embarrassment or inconvenience to your college and the new faculty member, it is important for departments and colleges to inform successful candidates of these guidelines prior to their move to Fresno.

Monies for relocation expenses are available to the new faculty member within the same budget year that he or she is hired. For example: if a faculty member’s start date is August 2012, funds must be spent by May 3, 2013.

Funds for this purpose will be allocated to the Deans’ offices.  As in the past, school and college resources can be used to augment allowable expenditures that exceed the $2,500.  As is the case for recruitment and start-up funds, savings from one faculty move in a college cannot be used to augment relocation costs for another faculty member.

top of page

Interview Expense and Moving Allowance

Interview Expenses

Candidates may be reimbursed for transportation, lodging, and meal costs incurred for the purpose of the interview.

Transportation Reimbursement:

A. Submit the applicable proofs of transportation designated below along with a completed and signed Invoice for Payment of Faculty Recruiting Interview Expense form:

  • copy of airline ticket, train or bus fare (an invoice or itinerary are not acceptable proofs of travel)
  • e-ticket (showing ticket # and method of payment)
  • taxi or ground transportation costs to and from airport;
  • miles traveled may be documented on Invoice for Payment of Faculty Recruiting Interview Expense form. Mileage will be reimbursed according to the CSU Travel Procedures and Regulations. As of 12/1/10, the current rate is $.50 per mile.

B. If a candidate is interviewing for a position with another agency on the same trip, transportation costs shall be shared appropriately.

C. When candidate is coming from out of the country, reimbursement for travel expenses shall be from port of entry.


Meals Paid by Candidates:

Candidates may seek reimbursement for their actual expenses incurred as supported by original, itemized receipts up to the limits established by Academic Affairs. (Refer to Section I Recruitment - Entertainment Expense for limits.) The reimbursement cap shall not be treated as a per diem.

As with faculty travel, there are specific restrictions on individual meal allowances for periods less than 24 hours. To claim reimbursement for transportation costs, lodging, and meal expenses, a direct pay/hospitality voucher; a signed, generic invoice; and supporting receipts/documentation must be submitted.

Entertainment Reimbursement:

A. Following forms are required:

  • Direct Pay/Hospitality Form (List names of all individuals in attendance on the hospitality section. Indicate if individual is part of the search committee.)
  • Actual, itemized receipt with proof of payment (food receipt must be itemized and show proof of payment). Those expenditures without itemized food receipts will be returned unprocessed to the dean's office.
  • Generic invoices no longer need to be submitted, if reimbursement is made to a Fresno State employee. Employee must sign top portion of the direct pay/hospitality form.

B. Requisitions no longer need to be submitted for meal expenses (for recruitment purposes only) less than $300. Expenditures must follow state and university guidelines, and not exceed the state allowable amounts.

C. Shared costs between State and Foundation:

  • Request for payment will be submitted to both the University and Foundation.
  • University— original receipt(s) will be submitted for payment up to the maximum amount allowed. Indicate amount to be paid by Foundation, and attach a copy of Foundation paperwork showing it is a shared expense. Amount to be paid by State should match the amount indicated on the direct pay/hospitality form.
  • Foundation—submit Foundation community relations authorization form; copy of receipt(s) and paperwork submitted to the State; and a statement verifying that this is a shared cost with the University, and the original receipts are retained by the University Accounting Office.
  • If reimbursement is being requested for the state portion only, please indicate that information on the paperwork.

Questions regarding reimbursement for this type of expenditure should be directed to Procurement.

Balances for recruitment, start-up, and relocation expenses will be monitored. Over-expenditures will not be allowed, and will need to be covered by the college/school.

top of page

Moving Allowance

Reimbursement for moving expenses should be submitted on a travel application and claim supported with receipts and proof of payment for each. Guidelines are as follows:

A. According to CSU policy, " 'Qualified moving expenses' are reasonable costs of moving household goods and personal effects from the former to the new residence...."

  • Professional Movers: the successful candidate is to obtain three (3) written bids from which the lowest is chosen. If a professional mover is hired for packing/loading only, an invoice from the mover must be provided. Important: In either case, proof of payment must be presented. This may be in the form of a canceled check; credit card slip; printed receipt from the moving company; or the notation "paid in full", which has been signed and dated by a representative from the moving company. (This last proof of payment may require additional clarification from Accounting Services.)
  • If candidate moves him/herself:
    • moving truck rentals: covered are actual costs incurred for truck rental, boxes, packing materials, gasoline and oil as supported by receipts;
    • trailer rentals: rental costs are covered when supported by receipts;
    • mileage: when driving a personal vehicle, mileage is reimbursed at $0.19 per mile, one way, effective 1/1/11;
    • casual labor: when the candidate hires a non-professional to help pack and/or load, that individual must provide a receipt stating their name, service provided, dates of service, and dollar amount paid for these services. The individual must also sign and date the receipt.
  • Storage costs: storage is covered when the successful candidate moves household goods to Fresno and has not secured a residence. Length of storage and rates of storage must be reasonable and cannot exceed state guidelines.
  • Shipping of personal items: costs must be supported with actual receipts (example: moving of books via UPS prior to household goods due to time constraints).

B. The following moving expenses are not reimbursed by Academic Affairs:

  • transportation costs for successful candidate and family;
  • expenses incurred for transportation of vehicles;
  • kennel expenses for pets incurred during move;
  • meals and lodging expenses incurred during move;
  • moving costs for items other than household goods;
  • moving expenses that do not meet the time or distance tests;
  • lease, unexpired or new;
  • temporary living expenses;
  • car rental costs. Expenses are not normally paid by Academic Affairs, but rare exceptions may be considered on a case-by-case basis;
  • house hunting trips.

C. Per HR 2008-10 Attachment B (July 15, 2008):

"Section 208. If an employee whose moving or relocation expenses have been reimbursed does not continue his/her employment with the CSU for a period of at least two years (unless discontinuance of the employment was the result of death, disability or other similar unexpected cause beyond the control of the employee as determined by the appointing authority), the employee or appropriate representative shall repay the following percentage of the amount received for reimbursement for such moving and relocation expenses:

(a) 100% if employed less than 6 months.

(b) 75% if employed at least 6 months but less than 12 months.

(c) 50% if employed at least 12 months but less than 18 months.

(d) 25% if employed at least 18 months but less than 24 months."

Section 209. "The campus shall ensure that a copy of these procedures is given to the employee upon notice to the employee of an impending move."

Taxable Income

Effective January 1, 1994, amounts paid as reimbursement for all moving expenses incurred by faculty or staff employees are reported to the State Controller's Office. As required by Federal and State income regulations, such amounts may be subject to both Federal and State income taxes and, therefore, included in W-2 taxable wages. Please consult your tax advisor should you have any questions regarding these matters.

top of page

Tenure Track Faculty Recruitment Reimbursement Documentation


The forms required for reimbursement such as The Invoice for Payment of Faculty Recruiting Interview Expense, Direct Pay/Hospitality Form, Requisition, and Invoice (standard), can be found on Informed Filler.

Recruitment Reimbursement

Please note only one invoice will be processed per direct pay/hospitality form. If there are multiple invoices per vendor, a separate direct pay/hospitality form must be created for each invoice. Due to the increased workload created and the lack of a clear audit trail, Accounting Services may return direct pay/hospitality forms, which do not follow the proper guidelines.

To reimburse a candidate for expenses, the following is needed:

  • Direct Pay/Hospitality Form (indicate vacancy announcement #)
  • Original Receipts
  • Invoice for Payment of Faculty Recruitment Expenses
    • original signature
    • social security number is no longer required

To reimburse a vendor (i.e., Piccadilly Inn), the following is needed:

  • Direct Pay/Hospitality Form (indicate vacancy announcement #)
  • Original Invoice
    • Make sure the candidate has taken care of his/her portion(s) of the bill such as movies, personal calls, and/or alcoholic beverages.

To reimburse members of the interview committee, the following is needed:

  • Direct Pay/Hospitality Form (indicate candidate and vacancy announcement number in addition to other required information.)
    • List all individuals. Please remember only meals for the candidate and search committee members will be paid from Academic Affairs as long as funds are available. Costs for other individuals in attendance can be paid from department/college state resources as long as certain criteria are met, from college/department non-state funds, or personally.
    • Must be filled out completely.
  • Original Receipts
  • Food receipt must be itemized.
  • Generic invoice is no longer required to reimburse a CSU Fresno employee, but top portion of direct pay/hospitality form must be signed by employee under "payee certification."

Moving Reimbursement

Before selecting a moving company, the candidate should do the following:

  • Obtain 3 firm bids
  • Take lowest bid

Reimbursement to Candidate:

  • Travel application and claim
  • Original receipts (PAID IN FULL)
  • 19 cents per mile (one way), effective 1/1/11, if driving personal vehicle.

When University Pays the Vendor (for example, Mayflower, Bekins, United, etc.)

  • Requisition
  • All Original Firm Bids (3 bids must be obtained either by candidate or Procurement)

The University preference is to reimburse the candidate for moving expenses. If a purchase order must be issued to a moving company, prior authorization needs to be received from Academic Resources prior to making any arrangements with the moving company and/or issuing a purchase order. If prior authorization is not received, funding for the move will need to be covered from school/college/department resources.

top of page