CONSTITUTION & BYLAWS OF THE
RESEARCHERS AND CRITICAL EDUCATORS
The name of this organization shall be Researchers And Critical Educators.
II. MISSION STATEMENT
Researchers and Critical Educators is an interdisciplinary organization of faculty, staff, and administrators at California State University, Fresno. We are united by common commitments and/or research interests to actively engage intellectual and applied issues related to academic excellence in the areas of race, ethnicity, class, culture, linguistic diversity and gender. This organization recognizes the changing demographic profile of our societal landscape, and in order to respond to this challenge the Researchers And Critical Educators will creatively support active research and its ensuing scholarship to significantly contribute to this emerging body of academic work. To this end, Researchers and Critical Educators will work with relevant College and University offices to create a professional and efficient vehicle to support new research, advance ongoing projects, and showcase resulting scholarship through conference presentations and academic publications.
The purpose of this organization is to bring together faculty, staff, and administrators in order:
3.01 To develop and implement a variety of research, scholarly, educational and intellectual support activities and programs for all faculty, staff and administrators interested in issues of diversity--including race, ethnicity, gender, culture, social class, linguistic diversity, religion, ability, and sexual orientation.
3.02 To effectively represent and promote a research and intellectual climate that is sensitive, representative, and fair to everyone on campus.
3.03 To build strong, effective, formal and regular communication and programmatic input to relevant administrative offices and committees;
3.04 To build strong, effective links with the surrounding community for the purpose of advancing and disseminating scholarly work and collaboration.
3.05 To create a social support network to build partnerships and personal friendships among the members of the organization.
- To encourage and empower individuals in the organization to become more actively involved in important university, community, professional, service, and leadership activities with the purpose of creating a more harmonious and diverse community.
3.07 To provide a safe and confidential forum for open dialogue, conversation, and sharing information among members. RACE members agree that the internal communications and business of the organization shall be honored, respected and held confidential as appropriate.
- Membership shall be open to all faculty, staff and administrators of the university.
4.02 At the end of each Spring semester, an email will recruit new and renewing members in Researchers And Critical Educators for the following academic year. Anyone who wishes to join mid-year must notify the RACE Membership Chair in writing and pay a due of $1 to the RACE Treasurer.
4.03 Membership discontinuance shall occur at any time upon a request from a member in writing (via email) to the RACE Membership Chair.
4.04 Participation, privileges, voting rights and interests for each member are equal.
4.05 Members may be formally barred from the organization by majority vote of the Executive Committee as the result of circumstances such as unethical, unprofessional, or criminal behavior. Notification of this action must be filed with the RACE President and the appropriate Dean’s office prior to member dismissal.
V. GENERAL MEMBERSHIP MEETINGS
5.01 Notice of time and place of general membership meetings shall be sent (electronically or via campus mail) to members with one week’s notice as possible.
- Emergency general membership meetings may be called by the President of the organization or by the Executive Officers. Written or email notice of special meetings shall be sent to the general membership as soon as possible.
5.03 Minutes of all meetings will be taken and posted on the organization’s Web site.
VI. EXECUTIVE OFFICERS
- The Executive Officers of Researchers And Critical Educators shall manage, direct, administer, and control the activities, affairs, and budget of the organization with input from members.
- The Executive Officers shall delegate such duties as may be necessary to the proper officer, standing committee, or ad hoc committee.
6.03 All members of Researchers And Critical Educators shall serve without monetary compensation.
6.04 Meetings of the Executive Officers are open to all members of the organization. Minutes of Executive Officer meetings will be taken and posted on the organization’s Web site.
6.05 A quorum for the purpose of conducting Officer business shall consist of three or more of the Executive Officers members holding office. In the absence of a quorum, the Executive Officers shall not transact any business.
6.06 Attendance at Executive Officer meetings is vital; Executive Officers shall notify the President in advance of conflicts or non-attendance.
6.07 Action may be taken by the Executive Officers without a meeting, if all members of the Executive Officers consent in writing (e.g., email) to such action; such consent shall be announced with the minutes of the proceedings of the Executive Officers. Members will be notified of actions taken via email.
VII. TO EXECUTIVE BOARD OFFICERS
7.01 The Executive Officers of the organization shall consist of the President, Vice President, Secretary, Treasurer, Webmaster, Historian Reporter, and Committee Chairs.
7.02 The President shall: be the chief executive officer of the organization and shall, subject to the approval of the general membership, perform all duties of her or his office in consultation with the Executive Officers and the general membership. The major tasks of the President include: development of an active agenda of activities and programs in keeping with the purpose of Researchers And Critical Educators; effective governance of the Executive Officers and general membership responsibilities for the purpose of realizing the agenda items; capable and energetic representation of the organization at the college and community level.
7.03 The Vice President shall: serve as chairperson of all official meetings of the organization in the absence of the President, or at the request of the President; serve as Chief Coordinator of all Special Interest Groups Chairs and other ad hoc committees; and perform such other duties as agreed to in consultation with the Executive Officers.
7.04 The Secretary shall: record and maintain each official meeting of the organization and of meetings of the Executive Officers; send approved minutes to the Webmaster in a timely manner; create communications (i.e., letters and emails) to acknowledge thanks and/or participation at events as needed; and perform other duties in consultation with the Executive Officers.
7.05 The Treasurer shall: work with the relevant office to maintain and execute all budgetary and financial transactions of the organization; and perform other duties in consultation with the Executive Officers.
7.06 The Webmaster shall: be responsible for creating and maintaining accurate and current information on the R.A.C.E. Web site, and perform other duties in consultation with the Executive Officers.
7.07 The Historian Reporter shall: be responsible for taking timely photos and submitting them for the Web site. The Historian Reporter also compiles and maintains chronological records of R.A.C.E. materials, documents and records, and performs other duties as assigned.
Committee Chairs shall:
- be responsible for recruiting members for their committee and to work with their committee members to address issues of concern and to develop and implement faculty support programs in their respective area. Each year, the organization will identify and elect Chairs to head a select group of committees. Sample committees may include, but are not limited to:
- Lecture Series and Activities
- Public and Community Relations
- Membership and Recruitment
- Grant Development
- Research Support
- Teaching Support
- Campus Diversity Committees Liaison
- Academic Identity Development
VIII. QUALIFICATION & REMOVAL OF EXECUTIVE OFFICERS MEMBERS
- All Executive Officers and members of Researchers And Critical Educators must be members in good standing with the university.
IX. ELECTION OF EXECUTIVE OFFICERS MEMBERS
9.01 With the exception of the founding year, a spring general meeting shall be announced and held for members to indicate their interest in serving as officers of Researchers And Critical Educators beginning July 1.
9.02 The nomination process shall be an open, fair, and consensual process for the purpose of creating an inclusive nomination slate for a full vote by the membership.
- Executive Officers shall be elected for a one-year term and may not serve for more than two consecutive terms in the same office.
- All Researchers And Critical Educators members in good standing with the university are eligible to vote.
10.01 The organization shall establish standing or ad hoc committees as designated from time to time at the request of the Executive Officers.
10.02 Some possible committees might include: Public Relations, Special Events, Grant Development, Research Support, and Teaching Support.
XI. FISCAL YEAR
11.01 The fiscal year of Researchers And Critical Educators shall be from July 1 to June 30.
XII. BYLAWS AMENDMENTS
- Amendments to these bylaws may be made by formal election of a majority vote of voting members.
The aforementioned bylaws of the Race And Critical Educators at California State University, Fresno were unanimously ratified by organization members in good standing on:
President: Janelle Pitt_____________________________
Vice President: Juan Carlos Gonzalez_______________________
Secretary: Jennifer Ivie_____________________________________
Treasurer: Joyce Ester____________________________________________
Webmaster: Cricket Barakzai_________________
Activities Chair: Roksana Badruddoja___________________
Research Lecture Series Co-chair: Francine Oputa & Loretta Kensinger
Public and Community Relations Chair: Kelley McCoy__________
Grant Development Chair: He Yan Beal________________________
Research Support Chair: Carlos Perez__________________________
Teaching Support Chair: Asao Inoue___________________________
Campus Diversity Committees Liaison: Loretta Kensinger & Francine Oputa________________
Academic Identity Development Chair: Christine Edmondson
RESEARCHERS AND CRITICAL EDUCATORS
CALIFORNIA STATE UNIVERSITY, FRESNO
Statement of Purpose
Researchers And Critical Educators, has been established as an organization dedicated to providing voice and support to faculty, staff, and administrators at California State University, Fresno.
As an organization, we pledge to work collaboratively with the relevant Deans’ offices in order to achieve the following goals:
1. To effectively represent and promote a climate that is sensitive, representative, and fair to all nontenured and tenured faculty.
2. To build strong, effective, formal and regular voice, communication and programmatic input to the relevant college Deans and with the relevant committees;
3. To develop and implement a variety of faculty, staff, and administrators support activities and programs for nontenured and tenured faculty.
4. To provide support and input in the fair recruitment, hiring, retention or promotion of nontenured and tenured faculty.
5. To build strong, effective linkages with the university administration, faculty, staff and the surrounding community at large.
6. To create a social support network to build partnerships and personal friendships among the members of the organization.
7. To encourage and empower individuals in the organization to become more actively involved in important university, community, professional, and political service with the purpose of creating a more harmonious and diverse community.