Reporting Sexual Assault
Members of the University community are acutely aware that the victim of a sexual assault may be physically and emotionally traumatized by an attack and each occurrence requires prompt and immediate attention. Sexual assaults will not be tolerated and each incident will be investigated with appropriate disciplinary, criminal, or legal action with the consent from the victim.
If you are a victim of a sexual assault, please do the following:
- Go to a safe place as soon as you can.
- Try to preserve all physical evidence. Do not wash, use the toilet, or change clothing if you can avoid it. If you change clothes, put all clothing you were wearing at the time of the attack in a paper, not plastic, bag.
- Contact the Fresno State Police Department as soon as possible by calling 911 for an emergency or 559.278-8400 for assistance from an officer. If the attack did not occur on campus then call the law enforcement agency having jurisdiction where the assault occurred. Fresno State Police personnel will assist you in notifying the appropriate law enforcement agency.
- Get medical attention. Fresno State police officers will assist, when called, with medical attention that will include collecting any type of evidence.
- Talk with a counselor. Fresno State police officers will assist you in contacting a trained professional whether you want to pursue legal action or not. Victims have the right to have an advocate and support person present at the hospital for examination.
- Contact someone you trust.