Applications are accepted once a year in the Spring semester for admission to the following Fall semester. For Fall 2015 admission, the deadline is March 1, 2015.
• A baccalaureate degree from an accredited institution with a GPA of 3.0 or better in the undergraduate major
• Program application and required materials
Applying for admission to the MFA Program is a two-part process. Applicants must apply to BOTH the Division of Graduate Studies at Fresno State and to the MFA Program in Creative Writing.**
IMPORTANT: Though the Division of Graduate Studies lists April 1 as the deadline for applications, the MFA Program application deadline was March 1, 2015. Students applying to the MFA Program in Creative Writing must have BOTH applications, as well as all supporting documentation (i.e., letters of recommendation, writing sample, etc.), completed and postmarked by March 1, 2015.
Note: As of Fall 2007, GRE scores are not required for admission to the Program. As of Fall 2009, the foreign language requirement has been dropped.
Steps to Applying
1. Start your application process by applying to the Division of Graduate Studies at CSU Fresno online through the CSUMentor website.
**Statements of purpose, writing samples, and letters of recommendation are to be mailed directly to the department. All other official supporting documents, such as transcripts, must be mailed to the appropriate admissions office:
Domestic students mail documents to:
International students mail documents to:
2. Download the MFA Program Application (.pdf) here or at the final page of the CSUMentor application. In addition, the following elements complete the application package:
•A writing sample of the student's creative work (up to ten poems or 25 pages of prose) to be evaluated by the creative writing committee. Prose submissions may be a continuous selection from a larger work, such as a novel, or a collection of multiple short stories or essays. Screenplays and scripts are not encouraged, as these forms are not within the primary scope of the program. Please send clean copies of your work.
•Three letters of recommendation from teachers, editors, or others familiar with the applicant's writing and academic skills, as well as potential to contribute to the program's environment. If sent together with the students' other application materials, these letters must be sealed and signed by the recommender across the envelope's flap. Recommenders may also send their letters directly to the department, Attn: MFA Program Coordinator.
•Brief (one or two pages) statement that discusses your interest, background, goals in creative writing.
Mail these materials to the following address:Coordinator, Creative WritingDepartment of English 5245 North Backer Ave., M/S PB98 California State University, Fresno Fresno, CA 93740
3. In addition, students are strongly encouraged to fill out a general Scholarship Application for California State University, Fresno. Please note that the deadline for these applications is different than the program application.
MFA APPLICATION DEADLINE : March 1, 2015