DQE - Departmental Qualifying Exam
The DQE has been eliminated as a requirement in the Department of Media, Communications and Journalism. As of May 18, 2018, passing the DQE is no longer required in order to enroll in MCJ writing courses such as MCJ 10, MCJ 102W, MCJ 124, etc.
If you need assistance with grammar, spelling, punctuation or writing skills, here are several options:
- Review grammar concepts using the DQE Study Pack. The answers are in the back.
- Visit the Writing Center in the Kremen Building ED184 for one-on-one tutoring or small writing groups. You can reach them by phone at
559-278-0334. You do not need an appointment to talk to a tutor one-on-one.
- For free tutoring on campus, contact the Learning Center (http://fresnostate.edu/studentaffairs/lrc) in the Collection Level (basement level) of the Henry Madden Library. You can reach them by phone at 559.278.3052.
- Enroll in writing classes such as English 5A and 5B
- Books for self-study
- "Working with Words: A Handbook for Media Writers and Editors," by Brian S. Brooks, James L. Pinson and Jean Gaddy Wilson.
- "When Words Collide: A Media Writer's Guide to Grammar and Style," by Lauren Kessler and Duncan McDonald. (With exercise workbook.)
- "English Simplified," by Blanche Ellsworth and John A. Higgins.