Pupil Personnel Services - School Counseling Credential


Department of Counselor Education and Rehabilitation

Pupil Personnel Services (PPS) Credential Requirements

School Counseling

The Pupil Personnel Services Credential is required to function as a counselor in a public school setting, grades K-12.

Admission Requirements

In addition to the admission requirements listed in the Graduate Education Program section of this catalog, Pupil Personnel Services Credential program applicants must meet the following requirements:

  1. Must complete the following prerequisite coursework and achieve a 3.0 in overall postbaccalaureate coursework. Prerequisite coursework must be completed with a B or better: ERE 153 and COUN 174 or PSYCH 174. Students applying for the PPS Credential program only do not need to complete COUN 176 or PSYCH 166.
  2. Provide evidence of having passed the California Basic Educational Skills Test (CBEST)
  3. Obtain and submit a current medical clearance at the University Health Center or from a private physician.
  4. Submit a valid Certificate of Clearance to participate in public school field placement activities

Following receipt of the completed packet and the review by program faculty, applicants will receive written notification regarding admission status.

Program Requirements

Candidates for the Pupil Personnel Services Credential who have been approved by the Program Faculty Review Committee for admission to the program and who want to be recommended for the credential must complete the following program requirements:

COUN 150, 200, 201, 202, 203, 206, 208, 220, 233, 240, 241, 242, 249 (8 units), CI 285.
Complete practicum (with a grade of B or better) and field practice.
Pass the competency exit review.

Time restrictions

Courses required for the P.P.S. credential must be completed no more than 10 years prior to credential application.


For faculty phone numbers and e-mail, see the campus directory.

For more on the faculty, see the faculty pages.
The faculty pages are updated by the department or program.