Pupil Personnel Services Credential Program - School Social Work & CWA Authorizations Only (For information on the PPS in School Counseling, contact the Department of Counselor Education & Rehabilitation at (559) 278-0340

PPS1 group

The Master of Social Work degree is a 60 unit program designed to educate advanced social work practitioners who can meet complex client needs within a diversity of public and private human services settings and who can provide services to multiple client systems using a variety of social work practice approaches.  As part of the M.S.W. program at Fresno State, students may elect to specialize in school social work practice and child welfare and attendance. The PPS program at Fresno State is accredited by the CA Commission on Teacher Credentialing. The Department of Social Work Education does not have an accredited, post-graduate PPS program, therefore, only MSW candidates at Fresno State can participate in the credential program. Individuals interested in options to "add" the credential after completion of a Master's degree need to explore accredited post-graduate programs at other institutions.

PPS2 group

The Pupil Personnel Services Credential (PPSC) Program prepares social workers to "perform services to children, parents, school personnel and community agencies to promote a school environment responsive to the needs of children and to plan educational programs which will prepare children to function in a culturally diversified society" (CA Ed Code 44046).  The program is designed to maximize the integration of theory and classroom knowledge with field instructed practice in the schools.  This curriculum model ensures that students experience the breadth and depth necessary to be prepared for social work practice in the public schools.

The Department of Social Work Education, in conjunction with the Kremen School of Education and Human Development, recommends candidates for a PPSC who have met all of the requirements of the M.S.W. and PPSC programs.  This credential authorizes the holder to provide school social work and child welfare and attendance services as an employee of a K-12 public school in the state of California.

Click here to be redirected to all PPS Required Documents and Forms