California Carcinogen Committee Appointment
Dr. Jason Bush has been reappointed to the California Carcinogen Committee by Governor Brown.
Fresno State Talks
- Dr. Jason Bush and Mrs. Karen Chooljian were nominated by students as outstanding faculty for the 2015 Fresno State Talks lecture series.
Recent peer-reviewed articles from Biology faculty and students
M. F. J. Aronson, F. A. La Sorte, C. H. Nilon, M. Katti, M. A. Goddard, C. A. Lepczyk, P. S. Warren, N. S. G. Williams, S. Cilliers, B. Clarkson, C. Dobbs, R. Dolan, M. Hedblom, S. Klotz, J. Louwe Kooijmans, I. Kühn, I. MacGregor-Fors, M. McDonnell, U. Mörtberg, P. Pysek, S. Siebert, J. Sushinsky, P. Werner and M. Winter. 2014. A global analysis of the impacts of urbanization on bird and plant diversity reveals key anthropogenic drivers. Proc. R. Soc. B 2014 281, 20133330, published 12 February 2014.
- Quinn S. McFrederick, Ulrich G. Mueller and Rosalind R. 2014. Interactions between fungi and bacteria influence microbial community structure in the Megachile rotundata larval gut. Proc. R. Soc. B 2014 281, 20132653, published 29 January 2014.
Recent grants and awards received by Biology faculty and students
- Ms. Natisnet Ghebrendrias of Dr. Mamta Rawat's lab has been awarded a position in the 2015 France/Belgium iREU program. She will be spending the summer in Toulouse at the University Paul Sabatier within the group of Dr. Olivier Neyrolles.
Mr. Jason Thomas, also from Dr. Rawat's lab, has received the American Society of Microbiology (ASM) Undergraduate Research Capstone award. Their abstract to the ASM General Meeting has been accepted and Jason will be presenting at this meeting in New Orleans this year.
- Dr. Mamta Rawat received a National Science Foundation award of $576,000 for her research proposal involving undergraduate students: RUI: Thiols in Cyanobacteria
- Dr. Mamta Rawat received a National Institutes of Health grant of $300,000 to study Bacillithiol metabolism in Staphylococcus aureus.
Recent popular media articles written by / about Biology faculty and students
- Biology professor, student earn top research honors. Article about Dr. Mamta Rawat receiving CSUPERB Faculty Research Award.
- Cities could be wildlife refuges of the future. Opinion piece in the Christian Science Monitor, by Dr. Madhusudan Katti, based on the following article.
- Biodiversity can flourish on an urban planet. Article in The Conversation.