The Department of Mathematics at California State University, Fresno in collaboration with Community Based Learning, San Joaquin Valley Mathematics Project (SJVMP) and Mathematics and Science Teacher Initiative (MSTI) offers a unique opportunity for motivated elementary and middle school students to experience a challenging and enjoyable learning opportunity.
Interested elementary, and middle school students are invited to apply for this intensive, fun-filled, learning experience.
- Intensive learning experience through challenging tasks in an enjoyable environment.
- Hands-on learning through fun-filled activities and projects.
- Change the way you think and feel about mathematics and learning.
- Learn to use dynamic mathematical software and other visual creation software to explore mathematical concepts.
- Improve your reasoning and mathematics thinking skills.
- Earn California State University, Fresno Certificate of Accomplishment.
- Meet new friends, expert teachers and university professors at Fresno State.
Elementary school STEM concepts
Explore and build models for aviation and scientific exploration suitable for ages 9 - 11; learn key Mathematical concepts such as shapes, dimensions, angles, and area; investigate 3D objects and explore concepts such as volume and surface area through hands-on projects, activities, real life problems and the use of technology, science and Engineering. Appropriate for grades 4-6.
Middle school STEM concepts
Explore and build models for aviation and scientific exploration suitable for ages 11 - 14; learn key Mathematical concepts such as proportions, prospective, area, volume and surface area congruence and similarity through hands-on projects and activities; solve real life problems using technology, science and Engineering. Appropriate for grades 6-9.
Registration by May 15, 2015: $185
Registration after May 15, 2015: $235
Fees include materials, handouts, morning snacks, lunch, and the use of labs and software. There may be few scholarships available for eligible students.