Thank you to the Jordan College alumni and friends who gathered at the Santa Rosa Junior College Shone Farm for this year’s North Bay Alumni and Friends dinner on Wednesday, June 15th. The evening included a tour of Shone Farm, silent auction, wine tasting during the social hour followed by a short program and dinner featuring Fresno State and Shone Farm products. Guests were able to mingle with Dr. Sandra Witte, dean of the Jordan College, David Sieperda, Fresno State farm manager and Dr. Eric Person, interim chair for the department of viticulture and enology, along with other staff from Ag One and the Jordan College. The Dean also recognized the class of 1966, five of whom were present (pictured L-R: Jim Porter, Richard Bolman, Steve Olson, Bill Bettinelli, Lee Brians, Sandra Witte).
On Friday, May 20th, Ag One celebrated the 2016 graduating class from the Jordan College with a convocation reception. Nearly 500 students from the Jordan College participated in the college convocation ceremony at the Save Mart Center. Congratulations graduates! View photos
The spring 2016 issue of Ag One Connection is now available! Check out our newsletter for spotlight articles on the Jordan Agricultural Research Center, Dr. Sandra Witte named permanent dean for the Jordan College and the many ways that students and programs in the college are benefiting from the generous support of our stakeholders! View
Baby on the Way
We are delighted that Sadie Hemsath (assistant director of development) is expecting her first baby. If all goes as planned, BABY JD will be born July 4th. Join us as we wish Sadie and proud husband Josh congratulations and best wishes. While Sadie is away on maternity leave through September, please contact Shannon Fast or the Ag One office regarding any upcoming events.
Mark your calendars for the 39th Annual Ag Boosters BBQ on Sunday, September 11! Join us for an eventful evening including a social hour sponsored by Fermin Campos Farms featuring Fresno State farm products and cheese and cracker tasting provided by valley industry partners, plus a Man Cave raffle sponsored by Fresno Equipment Company, the CWA Country Store sponsored by Ultra Gro Plant Food, and enjoy Fresno State wine and other beverages at the bar sponsored by Rabobank. Tickets are $50/person, $450/table and sponsorships are still available, visit the Ag One website for more information.
Alumnus Helder Domingos and his wife Cindy have pledged their support of Fresno State's partnership with the University of the Azores, helping to establish an exchange program for students majoring in agriculture. Helder was born on the island of Pico in the Azores and is a 1980 graduate of the Jordan College's Industrial Technology department and Cindy is the proud parent of two alumni. Together with Helder's Portuguese heritage and their love of supporting education, they are helping the college to engage globally and provide international agricultural experiences for our valley's students and those coming from the Azores.
Linda and Mark Hurst, both alumni of the Jordan College as well as parents of former and current Bulldogs, established a scholarship endowment to support students studying Animal Science and Plant Science. Linda earned her Bachelor of Science degree in Animal Science in 1982 and Mark earned his Bachler of Science degree in Plant Science in 1993. Their Ag One - Linda Tayian and Mark Hurst Family Fund will help students pursue their degrees and hopefully inspire other alumni to give back in their own way.
Planting seeds of success…
Many thanks to Cargill for sponsoring the 5th Annual Meat Industry Appreciation Dinner and Product Development Food Showcase. This event featured taste-testing new product ideas from the Fresno State Animal Sciences and Agricultural Education Meat Science Program & Animal Science 172 class. The top honorees included: First place - Wine & Cheese Meatball Perfect Pairings (Kelli Williamson), Second place - Fully Loaded Smoked Beef Sausage (Bria Nichols), Third place - Balsamic, Almond-Covered Shish-Kabobs (Seth Diemel) & People’s Choice - Chipotle Meatballs (Emily Krage). More
- This year marked the highest-ever rate of pre-veterinary students accepted into graduate schools
- Bulldoggers rodeo team advances six qualifiers to nationals
- During the first week of sales for the 2016 harvest of Fresno State sweet corn, there were 118,323 ears of corn sold totaling $39,047
- Fresno State plant science professor Dr. Anil Shrestha received President Barack Obama’s Volunteer Service Silver Award in recognition for his community service
- Faculty and staff from the Jordan College gathered on Thursday, May 26th to develop an action plan for the future of the college. As the college moves forward from good to great, the team created a bold plan that identifies what will be accomplished this next year that then can be built on in future years.
- June 20, 2016 – Jordan College Alumni & Friends Reception, San Luis Obispo
- June 20 - 24, 2016 - Angra do Heroismo, Terceira, Azores - President and Mrs. Mary Castro, Dean Dr. Sandra Witte, Sr. Director of Development/Ag One Executive Director Alcidia Freitas Gomes and faculty member John Cordeiro will travel to Angra, Terceira to sign an agreement with the University of the Azores. The agreement will put in place an exchange program for students majoring in agriculture. For more information, visit the Ag One website or contact Ag One at 559-278-4266.
- September 11, 2016 – Ag Boosters BBQ, Borba Ranch
- November 17, 2016 – Ag One Trap Shoot
If you’re not already a member, please consider joining Ag One and receive 10% off selected items like wine and olive oil at the Rue and Gwen Gibson