Grape and Wine Industry Career-Building Events
The Department of Viticulture and Enology recognizes the importance of making connections between our students and the grape and wine industry. The following two career-related activities provide networking opportunities that continue to benefit our students and the grape and wine industry.
Annual Viticulture and Enology Internship and Career Fair - Spring Semester
The Department of Viticulture and Enology hosts an annual Internship and career fair for students interested in careers in the grape and wine industry. Students are encouraged to come prepared (with resumes in hand) to meet employer representatives from various companies and organizations seeking to hire qualified students from Fresno State. This annual event is held during the spring semester on campus.
Wednesday, February 17, 2016
EMPLOYERS: CLICK HERE TO REGISTER FOR 2016
See the list of 2016 participating employers below.
Annual Viticulture and Enology Resume Workshop and Industry Panel - Fall Semester
The Department of Viticulture and Enology hosts an annual resume workshop where students are able to meet face-to-face with experienced members of the grape and wine industry to review and critique their resumes. The workshop also includes a Q&A panel featuring industry guests. Students are able to ask questions and receive real-world advice on a variety of topics and issues such as what to expect during the interview process, working for a large vs small company, skills needed to stand out in the grape and wine industry, and salary expectations.
Students who have participated in this workshop indicate that this event is one of the most helpful career-related activities they have attended. This annual workshop is held during the fall semester and is intended to prepare students for the Department of Viticulture and Enology's Internship and Career Fair held each spring.
Coming December 2016
Participating Employers who will be at our 2016 Career Fair on February 17!
- Bronco Wine Company - As a family-owned, vertically integrated wine company, that stands 4th largest on sales, the 2nd largest in Wine production, and the largest landowner of vineyards; corporate culture is derived from our forefathers' ambition, work ethic, ingenuity and experiences. With a family history in California winemaking that dates back four generations and over 100 years, our culture is an outgrowth of visionary leadership and entrepreneurial spirit.
- Cairdean Estate - Cairdean Estate is a small production facility north of St. Helena that focuses on Bordeaux and Rhone varietals.
- Cakebread Cellars - The Cakebread family, owners of Cakebread Cellars in Rutherford, is among the most creative and successful winery families in California's famed Napa Valley. Since its founding in 1973, the winery has developed a reputation for producing world-class wines. Its success is built on quality, consistency and continuity; characteristics which apply equally to the grapes, the wines, the people and the operation of the winery.
- Delicato Family Vineyards - Delicato Family Vineyards is one of the fastest growing wine companies in the world, celebrating 90+ years of California winemaking and grape growing heritage. Family-owned and operated since the company's founding in 1924, three generations of Indelicato family have fostered the winery's commitment to innovation, quality and environmental stewardship -- cornerstones that have harnessed the family's long-term focus and solidified the winery as an internationally recognized leader in the industry.
- E. & J. Gallo Winery - Founded by brothers Ernest and Julio Gallo in 1933 in Modesto, California, E. & J. Gallo Winery is the world's largest family-owned winery and the acclaimed producer of award-winning wines and spirits featured in more than 90 countries around the globe. A pioneer in the art of grape growing, winemaking, sustainable practices, marketing and worldwide distribution, Gallo crafts and imports wines and spirits to suit a diverse range of tastes and occasions.
- Ficklin Vineyards - Ficklin Vineyards is America's oldest and most awarded Port winery. Since our first release in 1948, our mission has been to create Premium Ports distributed throughout the United States. Presented the Lifetime Achievement Award by the California State Fair in 2012, Peter Ficklin continues to make award-winning Ports from our historic winery in Madera, CA. In addition to our world-reowned Solera, Peter maintains a respected Vintage Port program, and a highly awarded Tawny Port program.
- Fowler Packing Company - Fowler Packing Company was established in 1950 by Sam Parnagian, and through the years has grown and expanded under the active management of Sam's four sons and other family members. Today, Fowler Packing is one of the largest shippers in the fresh produce business, handling over 7 million boxes of stone fruit and table grapes and 15 million boxes of citrus per year.
- Grapery - Grapery is a fully integrated table grape grower/packer/shipper with production in KERN and Tulare counties. We are focused on premium, high flavored varieties such as Cotton Candy, Sweet Celebration and Sweet Sapphire from our innovation partner, International Fruit Genetics.
- Jackson Family Wines - We are a family owned and operated wine company. We are committed to training, development and mentorship for highly motivated individuals. We are based in California but offer outstanding growth opportunities across the country through Jackson Family Wines. We are a privately held company that focuses on a world class portfolio of wines with authenticity, family ownership and reowned quality. We pride ourselves on being one of the most dynamic and innovative companies in the wine industry.
- Morse Wines/ II Gioiello Winery - More Wines/II Gioiello is a small family owned winery in Amador County, producing a wide variety of Italian and Rhone varietals as well as Zinfandel. They produce 5000 cases per year from estate vineyards and a number of vineyards throughout Northern CA.
- O'Neill Vintners & Distillers - O'Neill Vintners was founded in 2004 by Jeff O'Neill, third generation member of a California winemaking family with industry roots dating back to 1934. From grape supply through wine processing to bottling services, O'Neill is recognized as the preferred outsourcing partner for many of the world's leading adult beverage brands and retailers. Today, O'Neill Vintners has grown to become the 7th largest winery in California and has earned a reputation as one of the premier custom wine producers.
- Scotto Family Cellars - We are a family owned winery and bottler with three locations in Lodi, CA.
- Stefanelli Distributing Company - We are a sales organization that covers a territory consisting of four counties in central California. Stefanelli Distributing is the oldest continuous Gallo Distributor in the world and we sub-distribute wines, spirits and crafted beers from other companies also.
- Ste. Michelle Wine Estates - Ste. Michelle Wine Estates is a collection of distinctive wine estates, each allowed to explore to the fullest extent the unique growing conditions and individual winemaking practices that give the wines from these states their extraordinary character.
- Sunview Vineyards of California, Inc. - Sunview Vineyards of California, Inc. is a huge unique company that combines family tradition and modern technology in the growing of California's finest table and wine grapes. Sunview is a large family-owned and operated table grape producer and has been growing table and wine grapes in the southern San Joaquin Valley for over sixty years. Our farming practices combine the wisdom of tradition with recent technological advances.
- Testarossa Winery - Testarossa Winery is located in Los Gatos, California at the base of the Santa Cruz Mountatins just south of San Jose. Testarossa is a family owned winery that specializes in making Pinot Noir and Chardonnay from Monterey, Santa Barbara and Sonoma Counties.
- The Wine Group - The Wine Group (TWG) is the world's third largest wine producer by volume. TWG is a privately-held, management-owned company with a portfolio of leading brands, including Cupcake, Franzia, Flipflop and Almaden.
- Trinchero Family Estates - Winemaking is a collage of art, science, intuition and tradition. It is the passion that we live by and the bond that brings us all together. Trinchero Family Estates was founded in 1948 when the Trinchero Family purchased the Sutter Home winery and Bob Tinchero infamously created White Zinfandel - the wine that changed the way American's enjoy wine. Trinchero Family Estates has been carrying on the tradition of innovation and the family values for more than 65 years.
Industry Experts at our Resume Workshops
Industry experts that attended the December 2, 2015 Resume Workshop:
- John Arellano*, Duarte Nursery
- Jeff Bitter*, Allied Grape Growers
- Madelyn Crawford*, Cairdean Winery
- James Ewart, Delicato Monterey Winery
- Steve McIntyre*, Monterey Pacific, Inc.
- Monica Meiners (HR), Constellation Brands
- Pete Richmond*, Silverado Farming
- Joseph Shoffner*, E & J Gallo Winery
- Michelle Vandergon*, E & J Gallo Winery
- Chris Willis*, E & J Gallo Winery
Our resume workshop held on December 3, 2014 featured the following industry experts.
- Bryan Anthony*, Grower Relations Manager, Napa Valley based winery
- John Arellano*, Field Representative, Duarte Nursery
- Greg Clark*, Agricultural Commissioner/Sealer, Napa County
- Brian Clements*, Vice President/Partner, Turrentine Brokerage
- John Giannini*, Winemaker
- Simon Graves*, Director of Vineyard Operations, Treasury Wine Estates
- John McLoughlin, Vigneron, Cellar 433/Dragoon Mountain Vineyard, Arizona
- Emilio Miranda*, Viticulturist, Allied Grape Growers
- Lori Pywtorak, Winemaker, Delicato Family Vineyards (Monterey)
- Dan Rodrigues*, Lecturer, Cal Poly SLO and Vineyard Consultant, Vina Quest LLC
- Donna Stuart, Talent Acquisitions Manager, Delicato Family Vineyards
- Chris Willis*, Winemaker, E & J Gallo Winery
Our 2013 Resume Workshop Presenters:
- Jennifer Barak*, Ridge Vineyards
- Mike Borboa*, Oak Ridge Winery
- Hugh Callison*, Constellation Brands
- Audra Cooper*, Turrentine Brokerage
- Simon Graves*, Treasury Estates
- Matt Heil*, Caymus Vineyards
- Tim Holt*, E & J Gallo Winery
- Amanda Ingram*, The Wine Group
- Jeff Oliver, Oliver Search Consulting
* Fresno State (Viticulture/Enology) Alumni
This website will be updated regularly, please check back for more details.