Grape and Wine Industry Career-Building Events
The Department of Viticulture and Enology recognizes the importance of making connections between our students and the grape and wine industry. The following career-related activities provide networking opportunities that continue to benefit our students and the grape and wine industry.
Annual Viticulture and Enology Internship and Career Fair
The Department of Viticulture and Enology hosts an annual Internship and career fair for students interested in careers in the grape and wine industry. Students are encouraged to come prepared (with resumes in hand) to meet employer representatives from various companies and organizations seeking to hire qualified students from Fresno State. This annual event is held during the spring semester on campus.
2015: Wednesday, February 25, 2015
Thank you to our 2015 Participating Employers!
- Allied Grape Growers.
- Agajanian Vineyards and Wine - We are a company that buys and sells premium wine and wine grapes. We have an office in Madera and one in Napa. We work with hundreds of wineries and vineyards across California from as far as south as Temecula and as far north as Ukiah. The company is family owned by a Fresno State Graduate, the general manager is from Fresno State, as are three other employees. Go Bulldogs!
- Bokisch Ranches/Bokisch Vineyards - Bokisch Ranches has been developing vineyards and selling grapes throughout California since 1996. Our management company farms 2,500 acres of winegrapes in both the Lodi appellation and the Sacramento Delta region. We farm organically and sustainably and partner with small and large wineries in Napa, Sonoma, Lodi, and Amador. Our winery, Bokisch Vineyards, annually produces 5,000 cases of wine from Spanish varieties including Albarino, Verdejo, Tempranillo and Graciano.
- Richard Bagdasarian, Inc. - Richard Bagdasarian was incorporated in 1952 and is located in the heart of the Coachella Valley's agricultural growing community. We are a family owned and operated grower, shipper, and marketer of California table grapes, citrus, and vegetables. Respected worldwide, Richard Bagdasarian, Inc. is one of the largest growers of California table grapes and citrus and has established a national presence in the vegetable industry via Pasha Marketing, LLC.
- Bronco Wine Company - Bronco Wine Company is the second largest family-owned winery in the world, with wineries in Ceres, Escalon, Madera, Napa, and Sonoma. The Winery, and its affiliated partners, maintain extensive vineyards and ranching divisions in Northern, Central, and Southern California.
- Constellation Brands
- Cellar 433 / Dragoon Mountain Vineyard - John McLoughlin is Arizona born and raised. He has been in the wine industry since the early eighties. He received his training throughout Europe and California where he worked with winemakers as an assistant winemaker, eventually becoming head winemaker for several wineries. He planed Dragoon Mountain Vineyard in Willcox, AZ and opened the Jerome Winery tasting room in 1998. Your experience with us will be all encompassing and 100% hands on from vineyard to winery.
- Delicato Family Vineyards - Delicato Family Vineyards is one of the fastest growing wine companies in the world, celebrating 90+ years of California winemaking and grape growing heritage. Family-owned and operated since the companies founding in 1924. Three generations of Indelicato family have fostered the winery's commitment to innovation, quality and environmental stewardship cornerstones that have harnessed the family's long-term focus and solidified the winery as an internationally recognized leader in the industry.
- Diageo Chateau & Estate Wines - Diageo Chateau & Estate Wines owns several wineries within California from Soledad, California on the Central Coast to California's Northern Napa County. Our primary focus is to produce quality wines by selecting top vineyards and fruit from various sub-appellations. Each winery showcases a unique personality and contributes to Diageo's passion for being the best and the industry leader.
- Domaine Chandon - Domaine Chandon, Inc. is the leading sparking wine producer in the Napa Valley and an emerging producer of varietal wines. Founded in 1973, Domaine Chandon was the first American sparkling wine venture established by a French Champagne house, Moet & Chandon. Domaine Chandon, Inc., is a part of the Wine & Spirits Division of LVMH - Moet Hennessy Louis Vuitton, the leading worldwide luxury goods company specializing in the wine and spirits, fashion, leather goods, perfumes, cosmetics, and watches.
- E. & J. Gallo Winery - Over eighty years ago, with humble beginnings, brothers Ernest and Julio Gallo began E. & J. Gallo Winery. Today, we are the world's largest family-owned winery. We distribute wines to over 90 countries and are the largest exporter of California wine. E. & J. Gallo Winery employs a creative and talented team of more than 5,000 people. We truly believe that the contributions of our employees are what make our Winery a dominant force in the ever-growing wine industry.
- Jackson Family Wines - We are a family owned and operated wine company. We are committed to training, development and mentorship for highly motivated individuals. We are based here in California but offer outstanding growth opportunities across the country through Jackson Family Wines. We are a privately held company that focuses on a world class portfolio of wines with authenticity, family ownership and renowned quality. We pride ourselves on being one of the most dynamic and innovative companies in the wine industry.
- J. Lohr Winery - J. Lohr Vineyards & Wines is dedicated to producing flavorful wines that are the finest examples of quality and flavor from our given appellations. We are committed to honesty, excellence and service, with a respect for our employees, suppliers, customers, and the long-term health of our company and the environment.
- O'Neill Vintners & Distillers - O'Neill Vintners & Distillers is the leader in premium outsourcing solutions for the California wine industry. Leveraging our vertically integrated vineyard, winery and bottling operations, O'Neill Vintners provides a broad array of contract production services to meet our customers' business needs.
- Stag's Leap Wine Cellars - Stag's Leap Wine Cellars has a long and distinguished wine reputation and is considered a Napa Valley first-growth estate. We are best known for our estate grown Cabernet Sauvignons--CASK 23, S.L.V., and FAY. Over the years, these wines have become some of the most highly regarded and collected wines worldwide. They are fashioned to express classic elegance, structure, and ageability, and to reflect the place in which they are grown.
- Sunview Vineyards of California, Inc. - Sunview Vineyards of California, Inc. is a unique company that combines family tradition and modern technology in the growing of California's finest table and wine grapes. Our company is a large family owned and operated table grape producer and has been growing table and wine grapes in the southern San Joaquin Valley for over sixty years.
- Testarossa Winery - Testarossa Winery is located in Los Gatos, California at the base of the Santa Cruz Mountains just south of San Jose. Testarossa is a family owned winery that specializes in making Pinot Noir and Chardonnay from Monterey, Santa Barbara, and Sonoma Counties.
- Treasury Wine Estates - Treasury Wine Estates (TWE) is a unique global wine company with a leading international portfolio of new world wines. TWE is the world's largest pure-play listed wine company with over 80 brands, including: Chateau St. Jean, Etude Wines, Stags' Leap Winery, Beringer and more. With 11,000 hectares of vineyards, sales of 30M cases of wine annually, and revenues of about AU$1.7 billion, TWE employs more than 3,000 winemakers, viticulturists, sales, distribution and staff across 16 countries.
- Trinchero Family Estates - Trinchero Family Estates is wholly owned and operated by the Trinchero family, Napa Valley vintners since 1948. The company produces more than 28 brands. The company also imports Angove Family Winemakers from Australia.
- Turrentine Brokerage - Brokers of grapes and wine throughout California and abroad.
- The Wine Group - The Wine Group is a leading producer and marketer of table wines in the United States. TWG is the second largest producer of table wine in America based on volume. The Company was established in 1981 when Franzia winery in Ripon, CA and the Mogen David winery in Westfield, NY were spun off by Coca-Cola Bottling Company. TWG's global portfolio includes Cupcake, Concannon, Glen Ellen, Corbett Canyon, Foxhorn, Flipflop, Fish Eye, Almaden, Mogen David and many other brands.
Annual Viticulture and Enology Resume Workshop and Industry Panel
The Department of Viticulture and Enology hosts an annual resume workshop where students are able to meet face-to-face with experienced members of the grape and wine industry to review and critique their resumes. The workshop also includes a Q&A panel featuring several industry guests where students are able to ask questions and receive real-world advice on a variety of topics and issues such as what to expect during the interview process, working for large vs small companies, skills needed to stand out in the grape and wine industry, and salary expectations.
Students who have participated in this workshop indicate that this event is one of the most helpful career-related activities they have attended. This annual workshop is held during the fall semester and is intended to prepare students for the Department of Viticulture and Enology's Internship and Career Fair held each spring.
2014: December 3, 2014
Our last resume workshop was held on December 3, 2014 and featured the following industry experts.
- Bryan Anthony*, Grower Relations Manager, Napa Valley based winery
- John Arellano*, Field Representative, Duarte Nursery
- Greg Clark*, Agricultural Commissioner/Sealer, Napa County
- Brian Clements*, Vice President/Partner, Turrentine Brokerage
- John Giannini*, Winemaker
- Simon Graves*, Director of Vineyard Operations, Treasury Wine Estates
- John McLoughlin, Vigneron, Cellar 433/Dragoon Mountain Vineyard, Arizona
- Emilio Miranda*, Viticulturist, Allied Grape Growers
- Lori Pywtorak, Winemaker, Delicato Family Vineyards (Monterey)
- Dan Rodrigues*, Lecturer, Cal Poly SLO and Vineyard Consultant, Vina Quest LLC
- Donna Stuart, Talent Acquisitions Manager, Delicato Family Vineyards
- Chris Willis*, Winemaker, E & J Gallo Winery
Our 2013 Resume Workshop Presenters:
- Jennifer Barak*, Ridge Vineyards
- Mike Borboa*, Oak Ridge Winery
- Hugh Callison*, Constellation Brands
- Audra Cooper*, Turrentine Brokerage
- Simon Graves*, Treasury Estates
- Matt Heil*, Caymus Vineyards
- Tim Holt*, E & J Gallo Winery
- Amanda Ingram*, The Wine Group
- Jeff Oliver, Oliver Search Consulting
* Fresno State (Viticulture/Enology) Alumni
This website will be updated regularly, please check back for more details.