Master of Science in Counseling
Option in Marriage, Family and Child Counseling
Dr. Chistopher Lucey, Coordinator
This 60-unit program provides preparation for a career as a counselor specializing
in marriage and family therapy (including child counseling) in public or private agencies,
or in private practice. Completion of this program satisfies the approved degree title
requirements for the California Marriage, Family and Child Counseling (MFCC) license.
Students need to be aware that the California Board of Behavioral Sciences (BBS) has
additional requirements for this license. The MFCC program is Accredited by the Council
on Accreditation of Counseling and Related Educational Programs (CACREP).
Currently, the graduate program has a total of 183 students. Admission rates have been healthy over the past five years.
During the 2016-2017 academic year (AY), a total of 50 students graduated from the program.
During 2016-2017 academic year review 98% of students passed completed the program.
- 2016-2017 AY, 98% of students passed the comprehensive examination.
- Seventy-five percent (75%) of graduates passed the State of California MFT examination on their first attempt.
A post-graduation survey of December 2016 Marriage, Family and Child Counseling (MFCC) graduates, revealed that 100% of respondents, who were actively seeking positions in the counseling field, found employment within 6-months of graduation. Graduates of the MFCC program are working in a variety of settings, including, non-profit community-based mental health agencies, public and private school districts, county behavioral health systems and private practice settings.
Local agencies that MFCC program graduates have found employment include:
- Marjaree Mason Center
- Spirit of Women
- Fresno County Department of Behavioral Health
- Comprehensive Youth Services
- Uplift/EMQ Families First
- Clovis Unified School District
- Family Services of Tulare County
- Fresno City College
- Sanger Unified School District
- House Psychiatric Clinic
- Community Behavioral Health Center
- Kingsview Counseling Services
- Turning Points
- Tulare Youth Services Bureau
- West Care California
- Sierra Vista Child and Family Services
- Resource Center for Survivors
- Mental Health Systems
- Visalia Youth Services