How to Apply for Undergraduate Degree
Students who anticipate meeting bachelor's degree requirements by the end of a term should obtain and file a completed application for a degree (with appropriate fees) with the Degree Advising Office within the first two weeks of that term. The Graduate Office processes graduate degree applications. See Filing Deadlines for filing dates and deadlines. Failure to apply before the final deadline will delay the granting of the degree.
The Degree Advising Office checks students' applications for bachelor's degrees and reports to them regarding eligibility for the degrees. Degrees are not awarded to students with I or RD grades remaining on their records. Students receiving I grades during the final year that have not been completed (or changed to F grades) by the appropriate clearance deadline will not be considered for graduation that semester and must reapply for the degree.
In order to be eligible for graduation, students must:
- Submit an application for the degree and pay the graduation fee
- Have completed with appropriate scholastic standing all courses required for the degree. (Graduates receive their official diplomas by mail.)
- Have filed official transcripts for all coursework attempted prior to graduation
It is the responsibility of students to be sure that all requirements have been met and that documentation has been filed with the Degree Advising Office, or Graduate Office, by the appropriate deadlines. No additions, deletions, or changes to students' records are permitted after the degree has been recorded.
Honors at Graduation
Honors at the time of graduation from the university are awarded to undergraduate students based on the following criteria:
- Students must have an overall minimum grade point average of 3.5 on all work attempted.
- Students must have a minimum grade point average of 3.5 on all work taken at the university.
- Students must have completed 45 units in residence at California State University, Fresno.
The grade point average earned at California State University, Fresno determines which honors the student receives:
Summa Cum Laude (highest honors) 3.90 to 4.00
Magna Cum Laude (high honors) 3.70 to 3.89
Cum Laude (honors) 3.50 to 3.69
Since the requirement for honors could change, students are requested to check the current General Catalog for the criteria in effect at the time of graduation.
Apply to Graduate (Baccalaureate Degree)
Baccalaureate degrees are not granted automatically when students complete degree requirements. You must apply for graduation.
- Degree application dates are shown in the chart below.
- During the filing period, file your degree application and pay the $35.00 non-refundable filing fees by using the online Undergraduate Degree Checkout Process through your Student Center> Apply for Undergraduate Degree. File your application as early as possible to receive a timely response.
- After you apply for graduation, and your application has been reviewed, the Degree Advising Office will send you an email at your Fresno State email account with your graduation status.
- Students receiving a baccalaureate degree and intending to continue for post-baccalaureate and graduate study at Fresno State must re-apply for admission at CSU Mentor and pay the non-refundable application fee.