Referring Students for Services

Typically, a student seeks out services on his/her own. However, you may offer to walk a student over to the Student Health and Counseling Center (Area E).

If you are unsure about the signs of a distressed student, read more here.


Our staff can help you:

  • Assess the situation, its seriousness, and the need for referral
  • Identify resources for the student
  • Find the best way to make the referral, if needed
  • Clarify your own feelings and consider ways you can be most effective
  • Discuss follow-up concerns

Campus Assessment, Response & Education (C.A.R.E.) Team

If you feel there is a possible safety risk—for the student or others—contact the CARE team. 

Helping Students

If you choose to help a student, or if a student approaches you read our Guidelines for Dealing with Distressed Students.