English Studies, B.A.
Bachelor of Arts Degree Requirements - English Studies Major
The English Studies Major at Fresno State is designed to help prepare future middle and high school English teachers. Through this California state-approved program, students may demonstrate the English Language Arts subject matter competency required for entrance into a post-baccalaureate single subject teaching credential program.
Majors complete English courses; courses in subjects related to language arts education such as literacy studies, drama, speech communication, and linguistics; and chose one Extended Area of Emphasis from the following:
- Rhetoric and Writing Studies
- Creative Writing
1. Major requirements (54-56 units) and additional requirements (6-12 units)
Extended Studies (12-14 units)
Select one of the following English Studies major extended studies emphases:
- Literature Emphasis (12 units)
American Literature (4 units)
Select one (not used for any other requirement): ENGL 153, 154, 155, 179, other approved upper-division American literature course Literature electives (8 units)
Select a minimum of two approved courses: ENGL112, 113, 114, 115W, 116, 141, 142, 143, 144, 146, 147, 150, 151, 152, 153, 154, 155, 156, 167, 168T, 169T, 171, 177, 178, 179, 181, 188T, 189
- Rhetoric and Writing Studies Emphasis (12 units)
ENGL 70 (4 units); Select two: ENGL 172, 173, 175T (8 units)
- Creative Writing Emphasis (12 units)
Select one: ENGL 41, 43, 44 (4 units)
Select two: ENGL 161, 163, 164, 165, 166 (8 units)
- Linguistics Emphasis (12 units)
LING 100, LING 146 (6 units)
Select two courses in ONE of the following sequences: (6 units)
Language Awareness Sequence: LING 132, 138, 139, 142, 143, 144, 145, 148
Teaching English as a Second Language Sequence: LING 132, 147, 155, 165, 171
- Theatre Emphasis (14 units)
DRAMA 32 or 33, 34, 110*, 115, 185 or 186
*Requires DRAMA 115 to be taken concurrently.
- Speech Emphasis (12 units)
Select two: COMM 3, 5, 7, 8 (6 units)
Select two: COMM 108, 162, 164 (6 units)
Additional Requirements (6 – 12)
- 2 college level courses in foreign language (6-8 units)
- ENGL 106W (4 units) OR Upper Division Writing Exam (UDWE)
2. General Education requirements (49 units)
3. Other requirements (9 units)
American Government and Institutions (PLSI 2), Multicultural and International (MI), and Upper-division writing. Note: The writing requirement may be met by taking ENGL 106W or the upper-division writing exam.
4. Sufficient elective units to meet required total units (varies)
5. Total units (120)*
* G.E. and MI courses can be double-counted with major requirements. See advisor for details.
- The major in English Studies is a California state-approved program preparing students for a career teaching English Language Arts at the middle and high school levels. In addition to core courses, students also choose one extended studies emphasis from the following areas: Creative Writing, Rhetoric and Writing Studies, Speech, Theater, and Linguistics.
- The language requirement may be fulfilled by a sequence of two semesters of the same language. However, if a student demonstrates advanced proficiency by completing the final course in a language sequence (e.g., the fourth semester course in a language), or an advanced reading course, that single course may fulfill this requirement with the approval of the faculty advisor.
- Courses may double-count in G.E. and the major. Recommended G.E. courses for all English
credential majors are as follows:
G.E. Area C1 - DRAMA 22, 62; English 41, 43, 44
G.E. Area C2 - LING 10 or foreign language courses
G.E. Area E - DRAMA 32
G.E. Area IC - English 101, 102, 103, 112, 113, 114, 174; DRAMA 163; PHIL 120, 150 or 151
G.E. Area ID - MCJ 178
Area MI - LING 147
- To demonstrate Subject Matter Competency in the state of California through the Fresno
State English Studies major, students must:
a) receive grades of either A or B in ENGL 105, 131, and 193;
b) complete and earn the B.A. in English Studies with an average 3.0 GPA or better in major coursework; and
c) complete and pass a reflective portfolio and interview process covering four state-mandated areas of English Studies.
- To be eligible to enter the Fresno State Credential Program students must:
a) earn a bachelor's degree (B.A. or B.S.) with an overall GPA of 2.67 (including major and General Education Coursework);
b) provide evidence of successful completion of an appropriate pre-program field experience or EHD 50: Introduction to Teaching;
c) complete CI 149: Curriculum, Instruction, and Technology in Secondary Classrooms
d) demonstrate basic skills by passing the CBEST;
e) provide evidence of English Language Arts Subject Matter Competency, either through a California state-approved program of coursework such as Fresno State's major in English Studies OR by passing the state CSET (exam) in English
The English Department consists of 26 full-time faculty whose teaching fields cover every area of literary studies and the humanities, including film and folklore. Most of the faculty have published books, textbooks, and articles in their disciplines, five have received outstanding teaching awards at the university, and one has received an outstanding teaching award for the entire CSU system. In addition, the faculty includes a number of lecturers, part-time instructors and teaching assistants, and the department operates an English writing lab staffed by tutors trained to work with students on an individual basis.
For faculty phone numbers and e-mail, see the campus directory.
For more on the faculty, see the faculty pages.
The faculty pages are updated by the department or program.