Recreation Administration is a leader when it comes to experiential learning and economic benefits!
Congratulations to our 2020 & 2021 Grads!
A message on Covid:
Dear students, alumni and friends,
In response to the COVID-19 pandemic please note the following:
- All classes and meetings have moved to fully online mode for the remainder of the semester and summer courses. We will send updates regarding any changes beyond the summer.
- Please note that faculty and staff will not be in the office.
- Students, please email your advisors if you needed any help or advising. There will be no on-campus appointments during this time.
- In order for us to minimize the spread of the virus, we should all stay home. Please take care of yourselves and your loved ones.
- In response to the situation, we have posted on our webpage a link for some virtual recreational activities and travel to exciting places. See below:
Our thanks to Fresno State student Macie Saiz and the Jan & Bud Richter Center for Community Engagement and Service-Learning for helping to compile the recreation and virtual travel information contained on this link.
Message from the Chair
Welcome to Fresno State’s Department of Recreation Administration. Nationally accredited by the Council on Accreditation of Parks, Recreation, Tourism and Related Professions, the department offers a Bachelor of Science degree in Recreation Administration with options in: Community Recreation and Youth Services, Outdoor Recreation and Natural Resource Management, Special Events and Tourism, Sports and Entertainment Facility Management, and Recreation Therapy. We also offer a Recreation Administration minor, as well as certificates in: Adventure Based Programming, Serving At-Risk Youth, Special Event Planning, Sports and Entertainment Facility Management.
The local and regional parks provided an economic impact in the United States of $154 billion in economic activity in 2015, and supported another 1.1 million jobs. Also, according to the Outdoor Industry Association, “more than 140 million Americans make outdoor recreation a priority in their daily lives. Americans spend $646 billion on outdoor recreation,” resulting in 6.1 million American jobs.”
Our outstanding faculty have diverse professional interests, are energetic and passionate, and are student oriented. If you are considering pursuing your degree in our department you will be provided with an engaged, professional, personable, and challenging academic experience.
Thank you for visiting our website and you are encouraged to visit us on campus in order to learn more about the major and to explore the diverse career opportunities in parks and recreation.
We look forward to meeting you, please feel free to contact us for further information.